skip to main content
Staff Start

Work Permits

Obtaining Permits 

Obtaining Permits 

The student will pick up the Statement of Intent to Employ Form, fill it out, get the required signatures from a parent/guardian, and signatures from their new employer. Once completed and returned to the front office, the work permit will be issued.
Work Experience

Work Experience

Students involved in work experience work at least 10 hours a week, and complete weekly assignments that include topics such as the importance of training and education, interviewing skills, job safety, attitudes and qualities employers seek, and budgeting. Students earn five elective credits for every 180 work hours and can earn 10 credits each semester. They gain workplace confidence and skills while applying their education in a variety of jobs.

This valuable program especially helps those students who support themselves while attending Sunset. You can contact Lisa Rimbach for additional information.
Summer Hours of work

Summer Hours of work

The following restrictions and spread of hours are for summer employment and considered vacation permits.
  • 16 and 17 year olds: 8 hours per day with a maximum of 48 hours per week.
  • 14 and 15 year olds:  8 hours per day with a maximum of 40 hours per week.


Q:  If I’ve graduated from high school, do I need a work permit?
A:  Once a minor is no longer subject to the state’s compulsory education laws, he/she is not considered a minor for purposes of the state’s child labor laws (labor code 1286[c]).  Therefore, a high school graduate does not require a permit and may work in any occupation.
Q:  If I have more than one job, do I need more than one work permit?
A:  Yes, you will need a separate work permit for each job that you hold.
Q:  When do work permits expire?
A:  Summer 2020 work permits expire five days after the beginning of the next school year. 
Q:  Can my parent/guardian bring in my Request for Work Permit and be issued a work permit?
A:  No, you must bring in your Request for Work Permit after it has been completed.  The student must be present when the work permit is issued AND bring a picture ID. 
Q:  Can I start working when my employer signs the Request for Work Permit?
A:  No, you must have the work permit issued first before you can begin working.
Q:  What ages are required to have a work permit?
A:  Any student under the age of 18 who has not graduated from high school must have a work permit on file.
Q:  Can I get a work permit at my high school?
A:  Yes, during the summer, work permits are issued at the school sites only.