Sunset High School is a continuation high school, an alternative to the comprehensive high schools within the San Dieguito Union High School District. It is designed to give extensive help to students in need of more flexibility and individualized attention.
The school provides a supportive learning environment in which the staff:
- recognizes the uniqueness of each individual
- offers the curriculum approved by the SDUHSD for all high school students within the district
- adapts the curriculum to meet the individual needs of the students
- encourages responsibility
- seeks to improve the student's self concept
- provides a flexible means for earning a high school diploma
- recognizes the need for vocational training and encourages student participation in ROP courses, exploratory work experience, and general work experience
- provides support groups for students who need extra help
The staff at Sunset High School identifies four major student objectives upon which the program is based:
- The student will attain, at the very least, all basic skills necessary for a productive and personally rewarding life.
- The student will accept responsibility for self and educational needs by attaining short and long-term academic goals.
- The student will develop and maintain a positive self-image and academic and personal success.
- The student will be aware of career and educational opportunities available through the general curriculum and work study programs.